Sunday, June 3, 2007

Sad Songs

I don't know what's the deal, but I've been listening to sad songs all day. Perhaps I'm depressed, but I'm relishing in the music.

So far on my list I have:
Israel Kamakawiwo Ole - Somewhere Over The Rainbow/What A Wonderfulworld
Skeeter Davis - The End of The World
Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah
Judy Garland - Smile
(apparently Charlie Chaplin wrote the music or lyrics)
Connie Francis - I Will Wait For You
(Originally from a 1964 French film titled The Umbrellas of Cherbourg)

The funny thing is, each of these songs has multiple singers/versions, but I decided to choose my favorite performers.

So what do I have to be sad about? I can only suspect all the changes going on in my life. Transitions if you will. I have some minor stresses, and I keep confronting different challenges. Perhaps this is spiritual warfare? I've always said, from a purely selfish point of view, Life would be a lot easier for ME, if everyone acted and believed like ME.

Now if you could indulge me with your favorite "sad songs." I'm curious to hear what you got.

5 comments:

Eric Wakeling said...

I listened to the REM - Out of Time CD about a thousand times in high school after a girl broke up with me.

Also Counting Crows - August and Everything After has a lot of sad songs. "Anna Begins" is probably the saddest one.

Buzz Stephens said...

Speaking of Judy Garland, there is an exciting new group on Yahoo called The Judy Garland Experience. The group features lively discussions, rare photo's, and amazing audio files. This week we are featuring Judy's complete 1958 concert at Chicago's Orchestra Hall, a 1977 Salute to Kander and Ebb starring Liza Minnelli and Chita Rivera, a 1940's Radio show where Judy sings Why Don't You Do Right, I Remember You, You'd Be So Nice To Come Home To and others, Judy's 1967 songs and conversations from and about Valley Of The Dolls, plus all sorts of other odds and ends, you will just have to check us out to see what else we have.
The group's membership includes Garland family members, other celebrities, author's, historian's, film maker's, and fan's from every level, the only thing missing is you! So, please, stop by our little Judyville and check it out, you may never want to leave.
http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/thejudygarlandexperience/

Caroline G said...

:(

Randy Harris said...

hey luke,
nice list, my two cents:

Flaming Wreck by Pernice Brothers
Fruit Tree by Nick Drake
O Children by Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
Back To The Old House by The Smiths
and for complete suicide,
The End Of The Rainbow by Richard & Linda Thompson

Anonymous said...

You write very well.